Beautiful Rosefinch (Carpodacus pulcherrimus) - HBW 15, p. 586
French: Roselin superbe
Spanish: Camachuelo Bonito
Other common names: Himalayan Beautiful Rosefinch (pulcherrimus); Chinese Beautiful Rosefinch (davidianus, waltoni)
Taxonomy: Propasser pulcherrimus F. Moore, 1856, Nepal.
Has been considered probably conspecific with C. eos. Recently suggested that races davidianus and waltoni might represent a separate species, differing from nominate and argyrophrys in structure (wing formula and tail shape) and vocalizations, and with apparent lack of intergrades; further research required, including study of affinities with very similar C. eos. Four subspecies recognized.
Subspecies and Distribution:
- pulcherrimus ( F. Moore, 1856) - C Himalayas from N India (Himachal Pradesh) E to SW China (S Xizang) and (perhaps non-breeding) Bhutan.
- waltoni ( Sharpe, 1905) - SW China (SE Xizang) and NE India (N Arunachal Pradesh).
- argyrophrys Berlioz, 1929 - S Mongolia and N & WC China (W Inner Mongolia and Ningxia, S to E Qinghai, NE Xizang, N & W Sichuan and NW Yunnan).
- davidianus A. Milne-Edwards, 1865 - EC China (SE Inner Mongolia, N Hebei, Shanxi and N Shaanxi).
- Least Concern Enlarge map
female collecting nesting material Locality Er La Pass, Qinghai, China (Northern) (ssp argyrophrys)
Martin Kennewell 29 June 2011 26 weeks ago 32 sec 4.3
female foraging on short grass Locality Hongyuan County, Sichuan, China (Northern) (ssp argyrophrys)
Martin Kennewell 27 May 2013 32 weeks ago 44 sec 4
Foraging on the ground Locality Birdland Park & Gardens, Bourton-on-the-Water, Gloucestershire, England, Great Britain
Joe Angseesing 30 September 2011 1 year ago 12 sec 3.6
male feeding in grass Locality Koko Nor (Qinghai) Lake, Qinghai, China (Northern) (ssp argyrophrys)
Martin Kennewell 26 June 2011 2 years ago 21 sec 3.5
- No sound recordings available yet