Beautiful Rosefinch (Carpodacus pulcherrimus) - HBW 15, p. 586
French: Roselin superbe
Spanish: Camachuelo Bonito
Other common names: Himalayan Beautiful Rosefinch (pulcherrimus); Chinese Beautiful Rosefinch (davidianus, waltoni)
Taxonomy: Propasser pulcherrimus F. Moore, 1856, Nepal.
Has been considered probably conspecific with C. eos. Recently suggested that races davidianus and waltoni might represent a separate species, differing from nominate and argyrophrys in structure (wing formula and tail shape) and vocalizations, and with apparent lack of intergrades; further research required, including study of affinities with very similar C. eos. Four subspecies recognized.
Subspecies and Distribution:
- pulcherrimus ( F. Moore, 1856) - C Himalayas from N India (Himachal Pradesh) E to SW China (S Xizang) and (perhaps non-breeding) Bhutan.
- waltoni ( Sharpe, 1905) - SW China (SE Xizang) and NE India (N Arunachal Pradesh).
- argyrophrys Berlioz, 1929 - S Mongolia and N & WC China (W Inner Mongolia and Ningxia, S to E Qinghai, NE Xizang, N & W Sichuan and NW Yunnan).
- davidianus A. Milne-Edwards, 1865 - EC China (SE Inner Mongolia, N Hebei, Shanxi and N Shaanxi).
- Least Concern Enlarge map
male feeding in grass Locality Koko Nor Lake, Qinghai, China (Northern) (ssp argyrophrys)
Martin Kennewell 26 June 2011 1 year ago 21 sec 3.5
Foraging on the ground Locality Birdland Park & Gardens, Bourton-on-the-Water, Gloucestershire, England, Great Britain
Joe Angseesing 30 September 2011 45 weeks ago 12 sec 3.2
- No sound recordings available yet