Beach Thick-knee (Esacus magnirostris) - HBW 3, p. 363
French: Oedicnème des récifs
Spanish: Alcaraván Picogrueso Australiano
Other common names: Beach Stone-curlew/Curlew, Australian Stone-plover, Reef Thick-knee
Taxonomy: Œdicnemus magnirostris Vieillot, 1818, Depuch Island, Western Australia.
Formerly awarded monospecific genus Orthorhamphus; genus sometimes merged into Burhinus. Forms superspecies with E. recurvirostris, with which occasionally considered conspecific. Considerable confusion concerning correct nomenclature, resulting in recent proposals to adopt either giganteus or neglectus as valid species name, but magnirostris is the correct name (see page 350). Monotypic.
Distribution: Andaman Is and Malay Peninsula through Philippines, Indonesia and New Guinea to Australia and SW Pacific islands.
- Near Threatened Enlarge map
VideosSee all 14 videos
- 4.7 A bird walking... Australia, Jul 2009 Eldert Groenewoud
- 4.6 A bird catches... Australia, Oct 2010 Robert Schaefer
- 4.4 An adult bird ... Australia, Dec 2008 Nick Talbot
- 4.3 An adult bird ... Australia, Dec 2008 Nick Talbot
- 4.3 Bird standing ... Australia, Feb 2006 Eldert Groenewoud
- 4.2 Three birds on... Lesser Sun..., Nov 2011 Josep del Hoyo
PhotosSee all 14 photos
- 4.4 Beach Thick-kn... Australia, Aug 2010 David Taylor
- 4.4 adult bird res... Australia, David Taylor
- 4.2 The bird seeme... Andaman an..., Dec 2012 Jainy Kuriakose
- 4 Beach Thick-kn... Australia, David Taylor
- 4 A pair was see... Andaman an..., Dec 2012 Jainy Kuriakose
- 3.8 Three birds in... Lesser Sun..., Nov 2011 James Eaton