Barred Owl (Strix varia) - HBW 5, p. 199
French: Chouette rayée
Spanish: Cárabo Norteamericano
Other common names: Northern Barred Owl
Taxonomy: Strix varius Barton, 1799, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
May form superspecies with S. fulvescens, possibly also including S. occidentalis. Has at times been considered conspecific with S. fulvescens, but bigger than nearby populations of latter and with different vocalizations. S. occidentalis in Mexico. Four subspecies recognized.
Subspecies and Distribution:
- varia Barton, 1799 - from SE Alaska (possibly) and SW Canada S to N California, E to Nova Scotia, and C & E USA (S to N Texas and North Carolina).
- helveola (Bangs, 1899) - Texas.
- georgica Latham, 1801 - SE USA.
- sartorii (Ridgway, 1874) - mountains of C Mexico (Durango to Oaxaca).
- Least Concern Enlarge map