Bar-tailed Treecreeper (Certhia himalayana) - HBW 13, p. 184
French: Grimpereau de l’Himalaya
Spanish: Agateador del Himalaya
Other common names: Himalayan Treecreeper
Taxonomy: Certhia Himalayana Vigors, 1832, Himalayas (Garhwal and Kumaon).
Closest relatives uncertain, although song rather similar to those of C. discolor and C. manipurensis. Despite this species’ occurrence in two disjunct populations, geographical variation is clinal across whole range, W birds being palest with longer bill and E birds darker and shorter-billed (cline is apparently reversed at extreme E parts of range). Pronounced local individual variation tends to mask geographical variation. Four subspecies recognized.
Subspecies and Distribution:
- taeniura Severtsov, 1873 - mountains of C Asia in E Uzbekistan, W Kyrgyzstan, extreme SE Turkmenistan, W Tajikistan and N Afghanistan.
- himalayana Vigors, 1832 - breeds E Afghanistan (S of Hindu Kush, from Nuristan S to Kandahar), N Pakistan (S at least to C Baluchistan, also in Murree Hills) and E in Himalayas (also N of main range, in upper Indus and associated valleys) to W Nepal.
- yunnanensis Sharpe, 1902 - S China (from SW Gansu and S Shaanxi S to SE Xizang, NW & W Yunnan and W Sichuan, also SW Guizhou) and N Myanmar.
- ripponi Kinnear, 1929 - S Chin Hills (Mt Victoria), in SW Myanmar.
- Least Concern Enlarge map
PhotosSee all 11 photos
Bar-tailed Tree-creeper (Certhia himalayana) captured at Jutial, Gilgit, Gilgit-Baltistan, Pakistan with Canon EOS 70D
Locality Jutial, Gilgit City, Gilgit-Baltistan, Pakistan
gilgit2 28 December 2014 2 weeks ago ADDED LAST MONTH 4.3
Foraging on a tree
Locality Kangding (Dardo), Kangding County, Sichuan, China (Northern)
Zhou Huaming 14 March 2010 5 years ago 4.2
Scurrying up a tree. Mountain Club Hotel above Nainital
Locality Nainital, Nainital District, Uttarakhand, India
Lee Hunter 15 December 2011 2 years ago 4
Adult on trunk of Chir Pine, Pinus roxburghii.
Locality Sat Tal, Nainital District, Uttarakhand, India
Allan Hopkins 6 April 2012 3 years ago 3.8
Photographed in Jim Corbett NP
Locality Jim Corbett National Park, Uttarakhand, India (ssp himalayana)
Subramanya_CK 14 January 2013 2 years ago 3.8
On a mossy trunk
Locality Pangot, Nainital District, Uttarakhand, India
Cedric Mroczko 15 February 2011 1 year ago 3.6
- No sound recordings available yet