Bar-tailed Treecreeper (Certhia himalayana) - HBW 13, p. 184
French: Grimpereau de l’Himalaya
Spanish: Agateador del Himalaya
Other common names: Himalayan Treecreeper
Taxonomy: Certhia Himalayana Vigors, 1832, Himalayas (Garhwal and Kumaon).
Closest relatives uncertain, although song rather similar to those of C. discolor and C. manipurensis. Despite this species’ occurrence in two disjunct populations, geographical variation is clinal across whole range, W birds being palest with longer bill and E birds darker and shorter-billed (cline is apparently reversed at extreme E parts of range). Pronounced local individual variation tends to mask geographical variation. Four subspecies recognized.
Subspecies and Distribution:
- taeniura Severtsov, 1873 - mountains of C Asia in E Uzbekistan, W Kyrgyzstan, extreme SE Turkmenistan, W Tajikistan and N Afghanistan.
- himalayana Vigors, 1832 - breeds E Afghanistan (S of Hindu Kush, from Nuristan S to Kandahar), N Pakistan (S at least to C Baluchistan, also in Murree Hills) and E in Himalayas (also N of main range, in upper Indus and associated valleys) to W Nepal.
- yunnanensis Sharpe, 1902 - S China (from SW Gansu and S Shaanxi S to SE Xizang, NW & W Yunnan and W Sichuan, also SW Guizhou) and N Myanmar.
- ripponi Kinnear, 1929 - S Chin Hills (Mt Victoria), in SW Myanmar.
- Least Concern Enlarge map
Foraging on a tree
Locality Kangding (Dardo), Kangding County, Sichuan, China (Northern)
Zhou Huaming 14 March 2010 4 years ago 4
Adult on trunk of Chir Pine, Pinus roxburghii.
Locality Sat Tal, Nainital District, Uttarakhand, India
Allan Hopkins 6 April 2012 2 years ago 3.8
Scurrying up a tree. Mountain Club Hotel above Nainital
Locality Nainital, Nainital District, Uttarakhand, India
Lee Hunter 15 December 2011 1 year ago 3.8
Locality Pangot, Nainital District, Uttarakhand, India
Vaibhav Mishra 14 March 2012 1 year ago 3.4
On the bark of a tree
Locality Dhanaulti, Tehri Garhwal District, Uttarakhand, India
jugal Tiwari 28 May 2009 3 years ago 2.8
- No sound recordings available yet