American Goldfinch (Carduelis tristis) - HBW 15, p. 559
French: Chardonneret jaune
Spanish: Jilguero Yanqui
Taxonomy: Fringilla tristis Linnaeus, 1758, South Carolina, USA.
Geographical variation slight and clinal; some races perhaps untenable. Four subspecies currently recognized.
Subspecies and Distribution:
- pallida ( Mearns, 1890) - S Canada (SC British Columbia E to W Ontario) and C & WC USA (E from to E Oregon, S to NW Colorado); winters also from N California S to NC Mexico.
- jewetti ( van Rossem, 1943) - extreme SW Canada (SW British Columbia) S in W USA to C California.
- salicamans ( Grinnell, 1897) - SW USA (W Sierra Nevada, in California); winters E to Mohave and Colorado Deserts and S to NW Mexico (N Baja California).
- tristis ( Linnaeus, 1758) - SE Canada (E from Ontario) and C & E USA (E from SE Minnesota, S to NE Texas and N South Carolina); winters S & SE USA S to C Mexico.
- Least Concern Enlarge map