African Yellow Warbler (Chloropeta natalensis) - HBW 11, p. 638
French: Chloropète jaune
Spanish: Cloropeta Común
Other common names: Dark-capped Yellow Warbler, Yellow Flycatcher/Flycatcher-warbler; Natal Yellow Warbler (natalensis)
Taxonomy: Chloropeta natalensis A. Smith, 1847, near Port Natal (= Durban), South Africa.
Genus generally considered as having affinities with Acrocephalus and Hippolais. This species usually regarded as forming a species pair with C. similis, and both were formerly treated as flycatchers (Muscicapidae); relationship of present species with the more obviously Acrocephalus-like C. gracilirostris requires further study. Four subspecies recognized.
Subspecies and Distribution:
- batesi Sharpe, 1905 - Nigeria E to N DRCongo and SW Sudan.
- massaica G. A. Fischer & Reichenow, 1884 - W & S Ethiopia, SE Sudan, NE DRCongo, Uganda, W & S Kenya, and NW & NE Tanzania.
- major E. J. O. Hartert, 1904 - Gabon E to S DRCongo (E to Maniema and S to Katanga), S to Angola (S to Benguela, N Huíla and S Lunda Sul) and N Zambia.
- natalensis A. Smith, 1847 - S Tanzania, Malawi, S Zambia, N & E Zimbabwe, NW & W Mozambique, E South Africa (E Northern Province S to C Eastern Cape) and Swaziland.
- Least Concern Enlarge map
A bird on a papyrus plant and flying away Locality Lake Mutanda, Entebbe, Uganda (ssp massaica)
Josep del Hoyo 12 September 2006 7 years ago 22 sec 4.5
A bird on the top of a bush and flying away Locality Lake Mutanda, Entebbe, Uganda (ssp massaica)
Josep del Hoyo 12 September 2006 7 years ago 19 sec 4.4
Locality Kisoro, Uganda (ssp massaica)
Nik Borrow 19 June 2013 1 year ago 4.2
A bird perched in a tree.
Locality iSimangaliso Wetland Park, KwaZulu Natal Province, South Africa (ssp natalensis)
Carmelo López 12 November 2010 2 years ago 3.9
Locality Sakania, Haut-Katanga Province, Zaire (Democratic Republic of the Congo) (ssp major)
nvoaden 8 September 2013 1 year ago 3.8
Bird perched in a bush
Locality Nairobi National Park, Kenya
James Kashangaki 20 October 2014 8 weeks ago 3.8
Perched on a dead snag above us.
Locality Wakkerstroom, Mpumalanga Province, South Africa (ssp natalensis)
Sam Woods 5 October 2009 5 years ago 3.8
- No sound recordings available yet