African Skimmer (Rynchops flavirostris) - HBW 3, p. 677
French: Bec-en-ciseaux d’Afrique
German: Afrikanischer Scherenschnabel
Spanish: Rayador Africano
Other common names: Scissorbill
Taxonomy: Rhynchops [sic] flavirostris Vieillot, 1816, “Australasie”; error = Senegal.
Forms superspecies with R. niger and R. albicollis; some authorities have suggested that all three might be conspecific, but good evidence apparently lacking. Monotypic.
Distribution: Major rivers and lakes of Africa S of Sahara, from Senegal E to Sudan and SW Ethiopia, and S to extreme N Namibia (R Kunene), N Botswana, basin of R Zambezi and S Mozambique; may have bred on L Nasser, Egypt, in 1987. Non-breeding visitor NW to R Gambia and Egyptian stretches of R Nile.
- Near Threatened Enlarge map
- 4.1 In flight. Botswana, Nov 2011 Fran Trabalon
- 4 A bird flying Botswana, Sep 2007 Aleix Comas
- 4 On a sand bank. Botswana, Nov 2011 Fran Trabalon
- 4 In flight. Botswana, Nov 2011 Fran Trabalon
- 3.9 Close-up of a ... Kenya, Feb 2006 Ken Havard
- 3.5 Adult skimming... Zambia, Sep 2006 Philip Perry
- 2.3 Resting on the... Botswana, Sep 2007 Lindsay Hansch